Thursday, January 20, 2011

Cost Of Cut And Color At Jcpenney

Make a Catalogue



Since 2001, besides creating bicycles Opus I'm the production of catalogs, with valuable collaboration of photographer Marc Dussault. We have done catalogs with pictures of bikes were taken in the studio. Catalogs licked in which we put special care to emphasize the aesthetics of bicycles.

Over the years we have developed techniques and tips to improve shooting. Increasingly precise, we must say thanks to technological advances of digital photos showed the grace of bikes with an accuracy and clarity of impressive details.

For the 2011 version of the catalog, in fact, for the tenth year of Opus, he there have been changes. I had to work with another photographer, Rick Katigbak, a question of time availability.
To do justice to all and avoid that one and the other photographers be compared, I thought "break the mold" and explore other perspectives, other concepts.

Thus, the idea of taking pictures outside was a logical next step. But I did not fall into the cliches of action shots: Mountain biking in the mountains, cycling on the road, etc.. He had to find something else, something rarely done. The idea of showing the bike out of context seemed to me interesting.



I thought about all sorts of outlandish places ranging from underground walkways to the scrap yard. But soon were presented logistical difficulties. We have over 80 designs ... It seemed so out of the question to find 80 different locations, 80 stagings and make a photo session at each location. We would have taken weeks to complete the shooting.



then I took my camera and hopped on my trusty bicycle in search of inspiring places. Of sunny days to travel around neighborhoods and taking many shots. The good life, whatever! Soon, some places have emerged. I felt that to put a brand new bike against a wall or structure Soiled could create a very interesting contrast. So I concentrated on former industrial neighborhoods, the alleys and the old port area of Montreal.



The advantage to roam the streets by bicycle is that you can stop at any end of fields without having to find a parking spot. But also can cover a wider area and more quickly than on foot. In short, here and there I was taking pictures of facades, walls, fences may correspond to a particular bike in terms of colors, as in terms of character.



Bringing thereafter all his photos, and thanks to Google Map, and the times displayed on each image because the light changes depending on time of day, I I traced a path ideal. I gathered some locations to concentrate the shots, especially thinking about the parking of the truck because he had to bring all these bikes!



course it was impossible to photograph the entire Opus online in one day. So I divided the sessions shot by bike range and location. We've done four days a sudden 20 to 25 bikes at a time. It was a challenge because we had never done this before and I could not estimate how long it would take us.



Rick came on the first day, with a cart carrying everything a good professional photographer in need to ensure a perfect shot. Reflectors, Softs , tripods, stands, electric batteries, extension cords, multiple devices, a multitude of purposes ... Brief paraphernalia ready for any eventuality. Poor Rick, I made him put this in his car and told him that we were going for a sort of "Shooting wild" instinctive shooting, on the spot and certainly in places where normally we should may not find us. It had to be lightweight, ultra-light. He kept only two aircraft and a flexible retractable reflector.



We then each took two bicycles at a time and we started walking towards the slots. But I knew that according to our movement, the inspiration of the moment could change everything. Thus it has happened several times that we take a bicycle in several different locations. Aids in Opus, who had loaded the bikes and drove the truck, we provide other bikes as and measure our progress. Even the truck had been loaded in a specific order allowing quicker access to desired models according to the slots. A veritable ballet of bicycles, whereabouts, clicks and keen eye ... It smelled of creativity, full nose.



short, I knew at 70% where we were going, but there remained a great deal of inspiration, instinct and spontaneity on the spot. Rick was a great player because I let him do that two to four shots per bike for not wasting time. I had explained at length the concept and the types of photos that I expected. From the very first pictures, I realized that I could trust him completely. We walked a lot! It was sunny and warm.



After these days of shooting, I went back to the office with a hard disk of all photos. And there was the discovery of the result. We took a huge chance because we could not resume work. It was necessary that each picture is good. The immutable deadline approached and I had two days to transfer and edit photos and finish the complete assembly of the catalog.



It was a great adventure and I think that's one of the catalogs that I'm most proud of.
Thanks Rick and the entire team.

0 comments:

Post a Comment